Saturday, April 23, 2011

How to sync videos from multiple cameras in Final Cut...the easy way.

A lot of the videos I've done for youtube involve more than one camera.  I usually make these in Final Cut Pro and the most tedious step is the synchronisation of the video clips.

The way I used to do it was to set all the cameras and the DAW recording, then I'd sit down and click my sticks together as a sort of clapper board.  Then, when it came to editing I'd locate that stick click in each clip and add a marker.  I'd also have to identify the stick click in the audio file.  It's not that difficult, but it can be time consuming, and it means that all cameras have to be running all the time, otherwise the job of synchronisation becomes much more difficult.

I recently found a program that makes this a whole lot easier.  It's called Plural Eyes.  You basically save the video and audio files you want to sync in a Final Cut Sequence, then you open Plural Eyes, choose that sequence and click 'OK'.  It analyses the audio from all the clips and aligns everything perfectly!

I tested it out on a gig the other night.  I set an audio recorder on the mixer and had a video camera recording 5 minute clips here and there from the stage.  I then loaded all the files into Final Cut and let Plural Eyes do all the hard work.  It worked perfectly!

If you want to try it for yourself, click here for a free 30 day trial!

If you're looking to convert video from a hard disk or SD card camcorder (or camera) for editing in Final Cut Pro (or any other editing software) then I highly recommend the free program MPEG Streamclip.
Get MPEG Streamclip here

2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Have you completed the tutorial (that you mention in this one) on how to sync up the multiple-angle videos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't. It should be the same deal though - make sure your video files are in the same format with MPEG streamclip, then just choose to make a multiclip in Plural Eyes.

    ReplyDelete